1891 - Janion Building Restoration
The Historic Janion building is a three-storey, freestanding
brick commercial building was built in 1891 and is located
between Store Street and the Inner Harbour, north of the
Johnson Street Bridge. It can be identified by a projecting
central bay of windows on the second and third storeys, and by
the prominent name plate stating "Janion 1891" above the third
The Janion building is valued as a time capsule of the history
of the evolving commercial activities which developed in the
City of Victoria. Although it only functioned in its original
capacity (Hotel) for two years, this prominent freestanding
building is an excellent example of the numerous brick hotels
which were erected in Victoria in the late years of the
nineteenth century, in response to prosperity brought about by
the city's status as the provincial capital, chief port, and
terminus of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo (E & N) Railway.
The location of the hotel is integral to its heritage value, as it
led to a succession of both functional and physical changes
throughout its history. Having had such functions as the
business office of the E & N Railway, a warehouse for B.
Wilson & Co. Storage, a cold storage facility for the B.C. Cold
Storage, Ice and Produce Company, and the facility for Lake of
the Woods Milling Company, the Janion Hotel is a chronicle of
the evolving nature of commerce associated with Victoria's
relationship to tourism, trade, and its surrounding natural
Although the Janion Hotel has survived in a derelict condition
for a number of years, it is significant that it retains numerous
physical elements pertaining to its original function as a high-
quality hotel, as well as evidence of its numerous other
functions throughout its considerable history.
Source: City of Victoria Planning and Development Dept.
Serving Vancouver Island
and the lower mainland since 1998